Friday, November 8, 2013

The First Amendment

I am a strong believer in the First Amendment. I will strongly disagree with things people have to say, on Facebook, for example, but I will often include a statement that even though I strongly disagree with you, I will defend to the death your right to say it.

What really chaps my hide, however, is when someone posts a meme or an oratorio stating their positions that is absolutely outrageously bigoted, hateful or discriminatory and then they get all upset when they get negative comments. The First Amendment gives you the right to speak your mind, but it does NOT make you immune to the ramifications of your actions.

A family member of mine posted an anti-abortion meme that stated that anybody pro-choice hates God. I found that offensive and said so. Because this persons beliefs are different from my beliefs is absolutely no basis for saying that I, or anyone else who is pro-choice hates God. It simply is not true.

End of rant.

No comments: